Follow us, following Him.

"Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it." ...Well, why don't you ask Him?... "Because I'm afraid He would ask me the same question."


Friday, March 8, 2013

Sorry and obsessed


I just got back from Haiti.  I'm feeling sorry this time.  Sorry that I am not staying there.  I know it's a weird word to describe my feelings, but it's the only word that comes to my mind.  I love the people there.  I love the country. 

Brunet, a beautiful man of God
Websters describes the meaning of sorry as:
  1. apologetic: feeling or expressing regret for an action that has upset or inconvenienced somebody, or is likely to do so. I'm not sure if I have inconvenienced someone or not but I feel regret for leaving. 
  2. sympathetic: feeling or expressing sympathy or empathy, especially because of something that has happened.  Nothing specific happened.  Just leaving.
I don't know.  I am not feeling sorry for the Haitians.  I am feeling more sorry for myself.  On my first trip to Haiti I came home feeling sad because we don't worship God like they do, yet we have everything to be thankful for.   What can I learn from this?  How do you want me to live, Lord?  Obsessed with you?

A proud momma wanting me to hold her baby
Yes.  I want to be obsessed with Him.  Francis Chan in his book Crazy Love explains what being obsessed with Him may look like...
 
"People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another.  Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him". 
Michaela Martell loving Haiti
A boy and his bucket of water delivered by Healing Haiti
Yep.  I am obsessed.  Waiting sucks.  I know it is in His timing that this sorriness and obsession will all work together.  Show me Lord what that looks like.  I'm waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment