Follow us, following Him.

"Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it." ...Well, why don't you ask Him?... "Because I'm afraid He would ask me the same question."


Thursday, October 25, 2012

I don't get it...

Every single thing that read these days leads me back to poverty.  It's like a kick in the stomach.   My Bible study is on the book of James and of course this deals with the issue of helping the poor, but I had no idea how much.  I have read James so many times, but this is the first time I am actually getting it. It is starting to stick and it hurts.

James 1:27 says "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."  One of the images that comes to my mind is the little girl in Cite Soliel, the slums of Port Au Prince, that didn't have a mother around and was looking for someone to hold her; protect her.

 Our first stop is when we met her.  I wish I knew her name.  Beautiful little girl with only a pink and white shirt and a necklace on.  She followed us to our second stop and then to the third, but by the third stop she had lost her shirt.  Who is protecting her?  She HAD a shirt and then she DID NOT!  Where did it go?  I can only assume that it was taken from her. 
I WANT TO PROTECT HER and the others just like her, but I am not sure how.  Lord, give me the wisdom to know how to help those in need!  Use me. 


I feel like there is a "revival of a prominent command in Scripture" (Beth Moore, study of James).  Why am I just now figuring out that this is what God created us to do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment